Today in multinational and corporate companies, ethics and compliance have become a major functional area that structures the responsible managerial decision making. Now that ethics and compliance have been linked to financial performance, there is a growing recognition that business ethics courses are as important as other functional areas such as marketing, accounting, finance, and management. Being aware of these developments, Özyeğin University included Business Ethics & Corporate Social Responsibility course to EMBA program and invited Fikret Sebilcioğlu to deliver the course. The eight-week module will take place in 2019 fall term.
During the course, Fikret Sebilcioğlu will help EMBA students to understand and participate in effective ethical decision making in organizations. His approach is to focus on conceptual frameworks, risks, issues, and ethical dilemmas that the students will face in the real world of business.
The course to be delivered is designed to provide a framework of the relationship between ethics and business with a focus on ethical business practices and to identify, analyse, and resolve ethical issues in business decision making. While analysing ethical responsibilities of corporations and their executives, the impact on all stakeholders including the society is considered in a wider perspective. Corporate ethical responsibilities at a local and international scale is also analysed.
The course syllabus consists of these headings and learning objectives:
- The Importance of business ethics, stakeholder relationships, social responsibility, and corporate governance
- Ethical issues and the institutionalization of business ethics
- Ethical decision-making process
- Individual factors: Philosophy of ethics and values
- Organizational factors: The role of ethical culture and relationships
- Developing an effective ethics program
- Managing and controlling ethics programs
- Ethical leadership
- Sustainability: Ethical and social responsibility dimensions